Sunday, November 16, 2014

JOURNAL 6- REFLECTIONS

Learning HTML and CSS makes me feel as if I have “seen the wizard”, and there is a certain level of pride that goes along with this.  But thoughts of the developer’s web code and CSS invade my thoughts and distract me as I conduct my business on the web now.   After learning some of the no no’s, I am particularly disgruntled as a consumer when I have to scroll horizontally, whereas before, it was annoying but I figured it was just natural and I didn’t realize that this is not encountered on all sites.  One bonus has been taking GED 571 concurrently with 512.  I like the way the topics often overlap, or mutually assist in understanding the other.    

One aspect of programming that I appreciate is that we can rely on the browsers to display the bones of our websites, but in reliably variable ways due to various browser accommodations.  I like that the coding community has agreed that there are characteristics that must be present (HTML), but that the accessories (CSS) are icing on the cake.  Still, being a visual person myself, I realize that the “icing” is of dire importance.  CSS is the difference between spending 2 seconds on a page or delving into a 30 minute “relationship” with a website.     

My most rewarding assignment was the examples of CSS, mostly because it was so difficult get it straightened out.  I hadn’t realized that we were to have saved different documents for each example, and so I had to really tease out some details in order to get all my examples in shape.    

Here is a link to that assignment:





No comments:

Post a Comment