Friday, October 31, 2014

JOURNAL 5- MY EXPERIENCE WITH TWITTER

I always feel as if I’m not using it right, certainly not to its potential, but I have found value in Twitter.   I appreciated the many ideas as to how to incorporate Twitter into the classroom, especially the idea of using it for the invention of dialog between historical figures.  

Q  WHAT ARE THE BENEFIT AND DRAWBACKS TO USING TWITTER IN THE CLASROOM?  
The limit of characters presents itself as a relief for students who may find it difficult to compose lengthy essays.  I am conflicted, however, about the tendency toward brevity in the form of emoticons and text shorthand that riddles the world of social media.  Again and again, engaging our students must be done in a way that reaches them on their level, but does not compromise literacy.  With proper standards in place, I can appreciate Twittering.  

Q: HOW DO YOU SEE YOURSELF USING TWITTER?
One of the more intriguing options I explored was tweeting a travel journal.  Over spring break in 2015, I will be leading our middle school’s first 8th grade trip to Washington DC.  As a parent myself, I am certain that this will be an anxious time for the families of the attendees.  With a photo journal, I can keep families up to date by tweeting the trip in progress.  Ahhhh, perhaps more importantly, I can solicit followers from among current 7th grade families, so that next year’s potential attendees begin to sign on for 2016.  Hmmmmmm….

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that using Twitter in the classroom. It is helpful for teachers to catch the attention of students and increase their passions on studying.

    ReplyDelete